Carolina Photo Archives
Gallery Three - Quonnie
All photos courtesy of
Charlotte D. Hohl
Please inquire about rights to reproduce any of these photos.
(Click on thumbnail picture to view the full sized image)

East Beach Road – Looking North  c. 1920. About half-way from beach  up to Post Road. 

East Beach Road – Looking North  1920’s:  At left, Burdick/Moulton farm, later sold to Ellis; became Zabel property 1943.  Zabel owned through 2011 or later.  At right, Moulton property; stayed in Moulton family until about 2010.  Both properties on east side of road. 

Burdick/Moulton farmhouse, east side of East Beach Road.  1920’s

Burdick/Moulton farmhouse, showing garden on south side of property, Early 1900’s.

Working the land at Burdick/Moulton farmhouse early 1900’s. Woman unknown.

Looking south from Burdick/Moulton farm toward ocean.  Cottages on beach faintly visible in background.  Barn on  property later owned by Patterson family, on west side of East Beach Road. 

Working Burdick/Moulton land; looking south toward beach.

Burdick/Moulton property and rental cabins, looking from Ninigret Pond.

Rental cabins, Burdick/Moulton property, early 1920’s.

Moulton boathouse on Ninigret Pond, early 1900’s.

Duryea family, cabin tenants at Moulton/Burdick dock, about to cross Ninigret Pond to go to the beach.

R.H. Duryea, wife Mabel Hoffman Duryea, and son Hewlett Hoffman Duryea
(later “Duke”) on beach just west of Charlestown Breachway (under construction) about 1904 or 1905.

R.H. Duryea digging with son Hewlett on beach near Charlestown Breachway.

Mabel H. Duryea with friends and son Hewlett on beach near Charlestown Breachway.

Unidentified boy in boat on Ninigret Pond; cottages on beach behind it.

Unidentified cottages on beach near Charlestown Breachway, early 1900’s.

Not a swanky place – but lived in!  On beach near Breachway, eearly 1900’s.

Makeshift boat on Ninigret Pond, early 1900’s.

“Duke” Duryea holding head, brother Dan Duryea (later movie actor) leaning on post, and friend at rental cabin on Moulton/Burdick property.  C. 1920. 

Interior of bedroom, rental cabin, 1920’s.

Surf and cottages at East Beach, from west, 1920’s

Ethel Moulton with dog, Dan Duryea, friend, Mabel Duryea (in white turban), and  other unidentified women  heading for East Beach.  1920’s.

Unidentified dirt road near beach, 1920’s

Richard Duryea, wife Mabel in foreground, and unidentified woman on East Beach, 1920’s

Duryea family and friends on Fresh Pond Rock, East Beach, 1920’s.

Moulton bathhouse on East Beach, pre-1938.

Lillian Jewett cottage on East Beach, pre-1912.  Moved to Highland Road before 1938 Hurricane, and therefore survived. 

Unidentified cottage, East Beach, 1920’s.

Unidentified cottages, East Beach, 1920’s.

Quonochontaug Inn,  West Beach, 1920’s

“Duke” Duryea with unidentified girl friend and her parents, Quonochontaug Inn beach, 1920’s.

Looking East from Quonochontaug Inn beach toward Central and East Beaches.  1920’s.

Girl friend of “Duke” Duryea, 1920’s. Can you identify her?

Another of Duke’s girls?

With her dog Chief,  the last of Duke’s girls:  Charlotte Sweeny; she married him in 1929. This photo was taken in 1928 on rocks west of Central Beach. 

Horace Hillyer Burdick homestead, east side of East Beach Road, 1/2 mile between ocean and Post Road (present Route One). Destroyed by fire. Rebuilt c1930.

Cottage that replaced Horace Hillyer Burdick homestead; patio under construction, c 1930.

Max Peabody, owner. On front step of new cottage.

Mrs. Max Peabody, on porch of new cottage.

From Burdick/Moulton/Zabel property, east side of East Beach Road, looking north toward Post Road (now Route One). Max Peabody cottage behind trees, center. Baptist church (white building) visible at left of barn just right of center.  Barn purchased by H. H. “Duke”Duryea in  October 1930.

H. H. “Duke” Duryea at Quonny March 1931 to visit  barn on East Beach Road. 

Wife Charlotte S. Duryea;
she was very good at making hot food for picnics -- even off-season! 

The Barn, later named Barnholme.  On lot north of Max Peabody cottage. 

“Duke” Duryea , about age 28, working on barn on East Beach Road.  Other photos show windows he installed, exterior washbasin facilities, and sliding door that had not been replaced, allowing ’38 Hurricane winds to blow roof off, destroying his efforts.

Interior of Duryea barn, East Beach Road, pre-1938.

“Bedroom” with mirror in Duryea barn, East Beach Road, pre-1938. 

The H. H. Duryea family, children Justine 2  and Charlotte 4, en route to Quonny from winter home in New York, 1938.

The Duryea girls on Mr. Whipple’s pony, Quonny area, 1938.

Pony rides were fun, but the beach was the ultimate goal.  Here Daddy Long Legs escorts his firstborn to the water. 1935 or 1936.

Charlotte S. Duryea and daughters Justine and Charlotte, atop Fresh Pond Rock, East Beach, summer of 1938. 

Mother Charlotte with the girls on top; the rock was that big before it was destroyed by the army during WWII. 

Fresh Pond Rock in the background, Charlotte and Justine frolic  in the white water, summer of 1938.

Charlotte C. Duryea at East Beach summer of 1938. Note cottages that were all destroyed by the Hurricane on September 21 of that year.

The barn roof, September 22, 1938. The roof was new – and paid for the day after the Hurricane.

Barn debris on Barnholme well.  1938 Hurricane.

Barn debris.  1938 Hurricane.

A few furnishings among the barn debris.  1938 Hurricane.  

Outhouse still standing at right of barn debris.  1938 Hurricane.

The water went right through the ground floor of this beach cottage.  1938 Hurricane.

On top of each other!  Cottages on the beach. 1938 Hurricane. 

What a mess.
1938 Hurricane.

1938 Hurricane.

Bath house from Blue Shutters, blown in ’38 Hurricane across Ninigret Pond onto land that eventually became Hoxie Avenue. A later photo follows. 

Garage built 1939 for Duryeas in anticipation of new house after Hurricane destroyed barn. The family camped in it for two years prior to selling in 1941 to neighbors on north side; they later added it to their cottage as a bunkhouse. That cottage, including garage, was totally demolished in 2010 and replaced by  entirely new structure.

Charlotte C. Duryea,”bride,” and cousins Nancy (left) and Helen (right) Sweeny on  garage property, prior to sale to neighbors whose cottage shows here.  c 1940.   Following sale of garage, H. H. Duryea purchased Max Peabody cottage on lot to south of garage.

Looking north on East Beach Road from Burdick/Moulton property:  Barn at right, shown here with door open, was the one  purchased by H. H. Duryea in 1930 and lost in 1938 Hurricane. Cottage at skyline, left of center,  is cottage originally owned by Max Peabody and later Gertrude Strayer,  purchased  from her by H. H. Duryea in 1941.

Looking from East Beach Road:  Cottage built in 1930 by Max Peabody and sold to “Duke” Duryea in 1941 by Gertrude Strayer.  Note pergola over terrace in back. Photo about 1941.  Pergola was destroyed in later storm.   

Cottage  as purchased by “Duke” Duryea with pergola.  One of the blue spruce trees in back eventually grew so large it blew down and put a skylight in the roof during  a hurricane in the 1980’s.  Garage at right was shown earlier as bath house from Blue Shutters,  blown across Ninigret Pond in ’38 Hurricane and salvaged for use on this property. 

Justine and Charlotte  (and friends)  on their “horsies” on lawn at back of cottage.  Early 1940’s

Justine Duryea and cousin Helen Sweeny in front of Duryea cottage early 1940’s.  Max Peabody’s porch lattice work was replaced by screens; screens later gave way to railings.  The two cherry trees eventually were lost, as were Rosa Ragosa surrounding cellarway fence.

Son of family friends, Harry Rogers, Jr., Justine and Charlotte ready for the beach  around 1944.  Pergola still in place. Young  Harry clandestinely trailed a German spy way up the beach toward the Charlestown Breachway and observed secret papers being exchanged in shoes.  

Hoxie Avenue area before it was developed.  A dirt road provided driver-training practice. View from back of  Duryea cottage toward Ninigret Pond.  c. 1950. 

Chauffeur’s cottage and barn,  c1942, west side of East Beach Road, across from Burdick/Moulton/Ellis/Zabel property.  Mr. Ellis owned horses.  During WWII, Ellis sold  farmhouse.  R.H. Sweeny, brother of  Mrs. H. H. Duryea purchased cottage and barn early 1940’s. Mrs. Sweeny sold to Tyler and Elaine Briggs years later.

East Beach Road, west side, 1920’s:  Home of Alfred Burdick.  Later owned by baseball legend Frankie Frisch,  “The Fordham Flash.”

East Beach Road, 1920’s, Alfred Burdick and his lady have visitors.

Visitors to Burdicks standing on then dirt  East Beach Road, 1920’s.

House on north side of Post Road, looking directly south down East Beach Road toward ocean.  Owned  in 1920’s by Hazard Campbell and later Capt. Briggs and wife Betty.  By 2011 in state of nearly total disintegration. 

Unknown people on rocks at Ninigret Pond, early 1920’s.

Justine Duryea on raft built by Bob Dinwoodie.  Ninigret Pond.  About 1950.

Trees lost near Blue Shutters bath house-garage in hurricane August 31, 1954. Beach towels on the clothesline though!  The surf must have abated quickly back then.

East Beach desolation following 1954 hurricane.

A busy day at East Beach, 1950’s.

Some of our East Beach gang.  Left to right:  Gene Zabel, Helen Sweeny, Bob Bennett, Ann Lucker  in back of Ellen Larsen, Kenny Brightman (?) peeking through next to Mildred Mashall (wearing sunglasses).

Justine Duryea on East Beach.  Note the black tire tube. That’s what we used!  About 1954,

Charlotte C. Duryea on East Beach, 1950’s. 

Ann Jewett Thomsen (Lillian Jewett’s daughter)  on East Beach.  c.1950.

Ellen Larsen (later Mrs. Joe Newsom) on East Beach,  c.1950. Family cottage on Upper Highland was sold and torn down, much to her distress.

“Duke” Duryea after retirement, in 1970’s working on ramp of his “Old Garage,” aka Blue Shutters bath house, blown to the Hoxie Avenue area by ’38 Hurricane. 

A pre-1938 Hurricane cottage, lost to the sea; rusted and aged, it disappeared sometime before 1980. 

Seaweed in clumps as big as rocks, Central Beach, 1997.

Brightman’s Store,  north side of Route One, between West Beach Road and East Beach Road, 1940’s.

Haversham Inn, north side of Route One, at Haversham curve, 1940’s.
All photos courtesy of
Charlotte D. Hohl
Please inquire about rights to reproduce any of these photos.